Monday 18 October 2010

Typography Workshop 1

I went into the 1st type session not expecting much my mind was made up I was going to do image, but now i'm not sure. In the session we talked about how the formation of type effects us in different ways and that understanding type was not as difficult as we thought. I found a lot of the rules I already knew all it took was someone someone to point them out. Firstly we covered how upper and lowercase effects us differently and that type is simply speech. 




























The real talent is knowing how to use this voice depending on what its is we are trying to say. In the exercise below we practiced how we can use our voice effectively.
Using the word dog we were told to firstly make a friendly dog by selecting an appropriate typography and changing its weight and hierarchy to mirror the word. I used Helvetica in lowercase, I feel this is less threatening as we view higher case with impact danger i,e headlines.
              We were then told to type a guard dog, in contrast to the friendly dog I chose a bold type Impact and made my dog massive and imposing as if it were guarding the whole page.


Above is a good example of how important the hierarchy of text can be when communicating. Using he same typography Impact and changing the word to lower case the dog is big but is no longer a guard dog its almost a great dane the worst it would do is lick you to death.



No comments:

Post a Comment